Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Othello

I believe that the version of Othello that we watched in class really captured my own personal perception of the play. The strongets characteristic of the movie that we watched in class was mosr likely the color palette. I had pictured the play has being strongly based on physical perception. Thereofre I saw it as very straight forward--black, white, and red. The movie reflected my perception. It cast Othello in black clothing and the others in white, drawing a strong contrast between the characters. Blood was very evident; the color red unmistakable against the black and white color scheme.

I also felt that this helped to focus the viewer on the characters. Dramatic or complex costumes may have drawn attentin away from the acting and therefore created a more material, visually appealing performance, rather than an emotional and beleivable performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment